Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"Mother of the Year"

Not. This has been one bad week..and it's only Wednesday. So far, in the last three days, I've managed to forget Cate's gymnastics on Monday, forget to pick Carter up from school on Tuesday, and forgot it was Family Fun Day/Kite Day at Brady's preschool today. Now, if I would only forget Bennett's birthday tomorrow, I'm sure I'll win some sort of award for slacker mom. After beating myself up about this for the last 8 hours, I decided to investigate why this has happened so frequently. Up until now, I have never sent even a single permission slip or book order form in late...everything gets signed immediately after school and is put back in the bag..done. So, what's going on? Why am I so overwhelmed? Well, I had a long, hard, look at our calendar and this is what it told me...... In the past 22 days (since April 1), we've had 9 soccer practices, 9 baseball practices, three gymnastic classes (ok, we only made 2), 12 track practices, 3 track meets, 7 soccer games, Easter, 3 golf leagues (that I work, not play), 3 Dr. appointments, Scott's had approx 14 highschool softball games, and Cate started school. Hmmm...maybe I'm trying to do too much. Not included in that list is the laundry, dishes, grocery shopping, birthday planning, yard work, butt wiping, food preparing (I can't consider it cooking if I'm only transferring it from bag to plate, right?), babysitting (twice a week, but I love those girls!), and all of the not listed menial jobs that I, the leader of this ship, am expected to do everyday. I feel like I'm at the point where my body is just going to shut down and I think my poor van feels the same way. Luckily, there is a light at the end of this oh-so-long tunnel...SUMMER! That's right. My school teacher husband will be home...my relief. He's my 'first thing in the morning running to Hit & Run for a soda' man....my 'go to adult swim and I'll bring the kids up later' man. He's my 'anything you want' man during the summer, because he knows in three short months, he'll be back to teaching..and coaching three sports..and hanging out with his buddies in the locker room...and eating lunch in peace and quiet everyday...and getting up and out of the house in the morning before the kids yell for him. And I'll be back to filling out our ridiculous fall sports schedules on the calendar and trying to figure out how in the hell I'm going to do it all

No comments: