Sunday, May 1, 2011

Surprising Fact About Me

I'm getting older. Uh huh, like for real. Oh, and so are my friends. Yeah, it was shocking to me too. A weekend trip to a college town was just what I needed to wake me up out of the "35 is still super young" dream world I've been living in.

It first occurred to me when Jen, Ness, and I pulled onto the U of I campus in a mini-van. Radio off and studying the GPS and maps hard core (and still getting lost a zillion times). Then when we met a college girl on her way to the store and Jen called her "honey" and Ness asked her if she had her coupons! But what really sent me over the edge was driving by the frat houses. Holy hell. All I could think about when I saw the group of boys sitting in lawn chairs, drinking beer, on the roof of their house was "where in the hell are those kids parents?!?!" Clothes were all over the yard, music was sooo loud {at least a 6 on the volume dial :)} and no supervision in sight. I wanted to scream "where are your text books and why aren't you studying? Your parents work hard to send you here, show some respect!!!!" See, I am old. I mean, seriously, I used to think this was awesome, right? I think the reason I was so freaked out is because Carter will totally be one of those guys in just a few years. He'll definitely be the dude in the robe that was hanging out on the sidewalk at 7:30am with a huge mug of beer cheering on all the marathoners. I did appreciate his enthusiasm, but I'm gonna guess his grades are the least of his priorities. Ahhh, to be 19 again :)

All in all, it was a really great weekend. Yes, it did make me come to terms with the fact that we no longer fit in with that crowd, but hey, "been there, done that". Time to move on. I'm so thankful for the much needed girl time and I ran my first half-marathon, under my goal time, and before my 35th birthday(which is Saturday!). I'd say that makes me pretty damn cool!

Race report and pictures coming soon.....

No comments: