Monday, May 16, 2011

Carter's 8th Grade Dance

#148,528th thing I said I would never do, but ended up doing....
"I would never let my kids "go-all-out" for an 8th grade dance"

Saturday was Carter's 8th grade formal dance. It was probably once just a dance, but at some point the parents kids turned it into a much bigger deal...and formal. Suits, ties, fancy dresses, hair-did, and even some tuxes (which by the way, is brilliant, because I'm sure renting a tux cost a heck of a lot less than what I spent buying a suit, shirt, tie, and shoes). Carter has been looking forward to this night for a very long time, and even skipped his soccer teams state cup game in Chicago to go. His "date" was Alina...they're the best of friends (she keeps him in line and I have her on speed dial for homework assignments) and have known each other since kindergarten. Together with 8+ other kids, they took a limo to dinner and then to the dance. Afterwards, he hung out at a friends house and then had 7 friends spend the night. I ended up staying at the dance the entire time to stalk chaperon and it was fun to see the kids having such a great time.
Carter and Alina...keep in mind she has heels on (not that it made much difference, but still...)

Cate was very excited to see the girls in their dresses and insisted on wearing her favorite dress, but once at the park for pictures, she turned very shy and did not want her picture taken


"The Boys"


"The Girls"


Carter and Logan


Rachel and Carter


Carter and Randi

Inside the limo

The theme was "Midnight in Paris". The gym looked great with the silhouettes on the wall and lights strung from the ceiling.

Ethan at the DJ booth requesting a song (this pic cracks me up). My friend Jeff was the DJ. It was fun to talk to him about how times have changed and how much cooler we were in 8th grade and how old our recent 35th birthdays made us feel

Alina and Caleb. Who doesn't love Caleb? So much confidence and danced the night away with all of the girls! Definitely one of Scott's favorite students (and Carter thinks he's hilarious)

Circled up and showing off their dance moves.

Logan, Zach, Hunter, Carter, Austin, and Brady at the end of the night. They looked a lot different 8 hours later, sprawled out all over my basement (+Stephen and Adam)

It was a really great night and I'm so glad Carter has such a great group of friends that he's been with for a very long time. I hope they all realize what a gift it is to have true friends and hope they remain close through highschool and long after.

No comments: