Sunday, July 4, 2010

Cate's Latest Adventure

A full week since I last updated my blog...and so much has happened :) On Thursday morning, Cate gave us the scare of our lives. Bennett had two friends spend the night Wednesday night and they were all in the basement when Cate asked to go down with them. The boys had their blankets and pillows in a pile on the floor by the tv and were sitting there playing video games...Cate was apparently jumping on the couch. Scott and I were in the kitchen when Brady screamed that Cate was hurt. It wasn't a "normal" scream and we both knew something was wrong. Scott ran downstairs and I put my hands over my face and waited to hear Scott's reaction. The way he yelled my name, I knew something was very wrong. He came flying up the stairs with her unconscious body in his arms. I immediately grabbed the kitchen wall phone and called 911. Brady said that Cate dove off the couch and landed on her stomach...knocking herself unconscious. Scott was so calm!! He sat in a chair and gently ran his fingers through Cate's hair and was quietly talking to her to try and wake her (he could hear her breathing). She started to come around as I was talking to the police dispatcher and by the time the ambulance arrived she was awake but very lethargic. With a houseful of boys, it wasn't possible for both me and Scott to ride in the ambulance to Children's, so he went with Cate and I made arrangements to drop the boys and their friends off with my mom. When I arrived at the ER, Cate was in a neck brace and VERY mad. Her screams have never sounded so good! She had monitors stuck to her belly, arms, and feet and they took x-rays of her neck and back to make sure she hadn't broken anything. Once they took the neck brace off, she was happy as could be and completely back to normal. Scott and I however, have aged at least 10 years! About three hours after we arrived at the hospital, we were headed home. She had a follow-up with her pediatrician on Friday and he thinks she may have had a seizure caused by the impact of her hitting her chest...we may never know what happened. She is 100% back to her good ole' mischievous self but there will be no more crowd diving!!!
Eating a popsicle and playing with stickers while waiting for her discharge papers. The ER Dr. wanted to see her walk before she let us go home but when Cate said "but I no have my flip-flops" she was convinced that everything was "A-OK" :)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Crazy how things can change in an instant...so glad she's okay!!!

Brianne said...

Oh my goodness! Very scary! Our middle boy gave us a scare not to long ago. I'm glad everything is ok! Check out what he had to say about his incident... http://thepinckney5.blogspot.com/2010/05/cody-what-happened-to-your-ear.html